Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mr. Bungle - California (1999)


Avant-garde, Mike Patton

     Hmm... how do I sell this one?  Well first of all it's a Mike Patton project, so already you should be salivating.  I looked for multiple descriptions of this album and avant-garde was the best one, so that's what I labeled it as, but like most of Patton's manifestations, Mr. Bungle defies classification.  Some have deemed it as experimental metal but I completely disagree, seeing as how the majority of the album is soft and melodic.  There are a number of genre shifts though out the album, and at times it feels like the band has a bad case of ADD, but compared to the other two Bungle albums this one is definitely the most accessible. A vintage beach sound complemented by wine and weed.  Fuckin' brilliant. 

Now I'm finding truth is a ruin
Nauseous end that nobody is pursuin'
Starin' into glassy eyes, mesmerized
There's a vintage thirst returning
But I'm sheltered by my channel surfing
Every famine virtual
Retrovertigo


Mr. Bungle - RetroVertigo

No comments:

Post a Comment