Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Book Of Mormon (2011)


Soundtrack, Musical, Broadway

     I was secretly listening to this yesterday at work and it took every ounce of energy I had to hold back the laughs.  The musical itself, which I'm dying to see, has been nominated for 14 Tony awards, and over 20 other awards of which I have no information/interest.  If you're familiar with Matt & Trey then you sort of know what to expect. They've been doing South Park for 15 seasons and have written plenty of songs  for the series that are grammy worthy, but the songs in this musical are so epic and beautiful that I was literally getting chills listening to this album.  You might be a little reluctant to give this a shot because it is after all the soundtrack to a play, but the plot definitely translates through the music.  It's basically about two Mormon missionaries who travel to Africa to convert the natives there, while lovingly poking fun at classic Broadway and religion along the way.  I'm on wikipedia right now and it says that this album isn't 'officially' available until May 17, but I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find it. I did.


The Book Of Mormon - I Believe

No comments:

Post a Comment